What is a Veteran?
- A Sainsbury’s ‘Veteran’ is an ex-colleague who has left the Company due to retirement, ill-health or redundancy and who meets a qualifying eligibility criteria, at the actual time of leaving the Company.
- The eligibility criteria has changed several times since 1997.
- The eligibility, since April 2006, is 25 years continuous service and leaving due to retirement, ill-health or redundancy.
- If a colleague qualifies to become a Company Veteran, membership is automatic.
- If a current Company Veteran dies and leaves a surviving spouse, their spouse becomes the Company Veteran.
- The Veteran benefits only apply to actual Company Veterans.
- We do, however, invite ex-colleagues who have retired but may not have qualified to become a Company Veteran to join a local association.